USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
They may be one of the new kids on the block, but the Skating Club of Jackson Hole, Wyoming is dreaming big. The club is one of seven new figure skating clubs to receive status this year, and they are ready to welcome skaters from all over the world.
The club offers instruction for all skating levels including Basic Skills.
"We follow the European style of instruction and offer group lessons for our freestyle and above students three days a week," said club administrative assistant Amy McReynolds. "They have approximately one hour of instruction on ice and thirty minutes of freestyle ice during Group Lesson time."
Also included are off-ice classes for jumps and positioning training, and freestyle ice is available seven days a week for practice and private lessons.
The club is housed at the Snow King Sports and Events Center.
"It's a fabulous facility at the base of Snow King, our local ski hill," McReynolds said. "Snow King Ski Area is a small resort but hosts Olympic hopefuls for training every year. The rink has been updated and improved by new management, CMI. We are lucky to have use of such a facility and hope to see it add another sheet of ice in the next couple years, and someday provide ice year-round for figure skaters and hockey players alike."
The club is also proud of its new Program Director and Head Coach Faith Neenan. Neenan, from Memphis, Tennessee is a former competitive figure skater with twelve years of coaching and choreography experience. She also toured five years in professional ice shows.
"We are incredibly lucky in Jackson to have a number of good coaches to choose from," McReynolds said. "We are super excited to welcome Faith as our new program director and head coach. She brings with her a love of the Mountain West and great ideas for improving our skating programs and including more of our community."
The Skating Club of Jackson Hole will begin their skating season in mid-October, but the club held a “Meet and Greet” event at the end of September to introduce themselves.
A Christmas show is also planned for December 20, and a Spring Ice Breakers competition and test session are scheduled for the middle of March.
"We have some interest in adult classes and hope to offer coffee club or lunch break classes for adults this year," McReynolds said.
The club is working on getting ice time to match adult work schedules.
As a new club, it most looks forward to providing a consistent and safe environment for figure skating.
"We want to provide the opportunity to set goals and reach them for all skaters whether it is teaching a tot to skate so he or she can move on to Basic Skills or hockey, or helping an older skater pass her juvenile moves and freeskate tests, or land an Axel," McReynolds said.
They also look forward to growing their program.
"Jackson Hole is a premier Winter sports destination," McReynolds said. "We hope to grow our program to make figure skating in Jackson Hole a world-class operation."
In addition to supporting and promoting its local skaters, the club also hopes to host visiting skaters for camps, clinics and competitions.
For more information on the Skating Club of Jackson Hole, visit their website.
Skaters pose with their medals after a recent competition.
Skaters perform during annual ice show.
- The Next Ice Edge Welcomes Adults to Skating Clinic
- Shining Starz: New Adult Theatre on Ice Team Wins Silver in Hyannis
- Center State Club Coach Rides 100 Miles to Raise Awareness for Child Safety
- Lights, Curtain...Skate: Club Shows Provide Skaters with a Lifetime of Memories
- Wisconsin Edge Coach Shares the Edge on Social Media Strategy
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas