USFigureSkating.org will feature a different club-related story every month in the Club Spotlight.
For many people, a 100-mile bicycle ride sounds like an impossible goal. For Center State Figure Skating Club coach Kim Dzialo of Chittenango, New York, riding 100 miles was a lifelong dream, especially if it meant taking part in "The Ride for Missing Children."
The ride, which raises money and awareness for child safety, was formed in 1995 by a group of seven men who rode from New Hartford, New York to Washington D.C.
"The ride was something I have wanted to do since I was younger," Dzialo said.
In 1995, the father of one of Dzialo’s skating friends rode in memory of a young Upstate New York child named Sara Ann Wood who had been kidnapped in 1993. It took Dzialo some time to purchase the proper bike to participate in the event as they are expensive.
This year, she committed to raising $500 and to riding with a unified team of cyclists, two by two for 100 miles, escorted by a team of New York state police officers. The ride began at the Trooper Barracks in Oneida, New York on May 15, and ended with a Victory Ride down Genesee St., a main route in South Utica, New York. The highlight of the ride, however, was the school visits along the route.
"At each school that we visited we brought the message of child safety and abduction prevention," Dzialo said. "Our bicycles were the vehicles used to make our journey. They merely provided us with a visible means to spread our message about the plight of missing and exploited children and the importance of child safety education."
Dzialo said that the most emotional stop was Sauquoit as it was the home of Sara Ann Wood.
"It was a good thing I had the tissues there because the tears were flowing. We got there and the kids were cheering us on and then they sang a song for us in tribute to Sara and the ceremonial balloon release."
For Dzialo, the experience really meant something when one of her students thanked her via Facebook.
The student posted:
You make me so proud and happy Coach Kim. More than you know. Sara Ann Wood was kidnapped down the road from my house. She went to my school. I play and pass by the tree every day even when I play outside. I think she is there every day watching me from heaven. I watch the riders every year and I love it. I will have my mommy and daddy give you some of my money. Thank you from where I live and for all the missing kids and all the kids in heaven too.
"This brought me to tears and made me very proud," Dzialo said.
For Dzialo, seeing all the people along the route cheering and thanking the riders was the greatest feeling in the world."When we were nearing the end of the ride I remember looking at my riding partner and saying 'I can’t believe we are done already.' As many miles as we rode, I was ready to keep going," Dzialo said. "Seeing all the people out roadside cheering us on and thanking us as we rode by was a great feeling. I am so happy to be a part of this group I can now call family."
- Lights, Curtain...Skate: Club Shows Provide Skaters with a Lifetime of Memories
- Wisconsin Edge Coach Shares the Edge on Social Media Strategy
- Young Artists Showcase Inspires Aspiring Skating Choreographers
- Celebration of Sisters: Boston Skater Honors Sisters' Memories with a Special Ice Show
- Camp of Champions: Grassroots to Champions Camp a Popular Summer Destination for Skaters
- Ice Den to Host Dorothy Hamill's Adult Skating Camp for Second Year
- With a Grateful Heart: Kansas City Skater Dedicates Tribute to Doctors, Nurses, Therapists, Family and Friends
- Let Us Entertain You: Senior Adults Dazzle at U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships
- Spotlight article on the Meyda Showcase
- Adults For Autism Spreads Message Of Awareness
- Sandy: Nearly One Year Later, Skaters and Coaches Grateful for the Helping Hands
- "Skate for Hope" Celebrates Ten Years of Hope and Encouragement
- Jodi Porter Carries on Work of Skating Choreographer Ricky Harris
- Clubs Promote Important Message: Be Nice on the Ice
- Club Members and Synchro Teams Answer the Call to Help "Sandy" Survivors
- Canandaigua Skating Program Hopes Holiday Show Will Benefit Many
- Hamill Camp a Summer Tradition for Three Adult Skaters
- Qualifying Events Come Together With Hard Work and Enthusiastic Volunteers
- Iowa Figure Skating Coach Wins "Caring Coach" Award
- Junior Men's Competitor Helps Kids' Cancer Camp
- Peninsula Skating Club: Working Together Brings Success
- Young Skater Documents One Magical Week on YouTube
- The Clinton Classic
- Skating School a Coach's Dream Come True
- Synchro Team Honors Fellow Teammate Battling Cancer
- New App Series a Positive Addition
- Clubs Send Off Skaters in Style
- Club Spotlight: The Panthers Figure Skating Club
- Figure Skating Clubs Getting Social
- Wichita Skating Program Grows with Groupon
- International Flare at Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp for Adults
- PSA to Honor Coaches with Book
- McSwain Teaching Artistry Through Sk8tivity Clinics
- Parker Pennington Presents 'The Dream Show'
- Cape Cod Figure Skating Club Reborn
- Not Your Ordinary Skater
- A Tale of Two (TOI) Teams
- Summer Camps Keep Skaters Busy During Warm-weather Months
- Worth Cheering About
- Gregory and Petukhov Making a Difference with Fever on Ice
- Sun Shines on 12th Annual Wollman Open
- Clubs Come Together to Celebrate RISE
- Bay Area Clubs Unite to Promote Worthy Causes
- Carolinas Figure Skating Club Catches Nationals Fever
- Staying Competitive Helps Coaches Keep Their Edge
- Therapeutic Skating Program Taking Off in Clubs Around the Country
- Moylan Premier FSC Gives Family 'Shimmer of Light'
- Basic Skills Competition Series Takes Off
- 'Fire and Ice' Exhibitions Help Broadmoor Skaters Prepare For Competition
- National Solo Dance Championships Provide Fun for All
- SC of Morris Donations Honor Test Judges
- Nantucket SC on Island All Its Own
- Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships Attract Adult Skaters
- SABAH Program Helps Special-Needs Skaters Achieve Goals
- Chicago Clinic Brings Pairs Skating Up Close and Personal
- Young Skaters Shine in 'Skate for Hope'
- Cleveland-area Skater Bringing Relief to Haiti
- Figure Skating Clubs Catch Olympic Fever
- Glens Falls FSC Finds Recipe for Success
- Jamestown FSC Alumni Find 'Disney Magic'
- Skyliners Take in Stranded Synchro Teams
- Social Ice Dancing Programs Thriving
- Monandock FSC Hopes LaRoche Tribute Leads to Better Times for Club
- Onyx-Suburban Looks Out for One of Its Own
- Coming Soon: MySkatingMall.com
- Ice Sweepers Become Part of the Action at 2009 Cancer.Net Skate America
- Champions Camp Pays Off for Chelsea Piers Skaters
- Adult Figure Skaters Come Together in Dallas